About this Show

The Journal Editorial Report

News/Business. Paul Gigot discusses news, politics, society and finance. New. (CC) (Stereo)

NETWORK

DURATION
00:31:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel v760

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Irs 12, The Irs 7, Phillips 4, Cincinnati 4, Us 4, Obama 3, Washington 2, Paul Gigot 2, United States 1, Enbrel 1, Kim 1, Jfk 1, Jd Power And Associates 1, Joe 1, Lbj 1, Devry University 1, Benghazi 1, Secondly 1, Workweek 1, Yemen 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    The Journal Editorial Report    News/Business. Paul Gigot discusses news,  
   politics, society and finance. New. (CC) (Stereo)  

    May 18, 2013
    11:00 - 11:31am PDT  

11:00am
>> this week on the journal editorial report, the irs under fire over its targeting of conservative groups. it's the very same agency ramping up for the obamacare rollout. could the taxman soon be playing politics with your health insurance? plus, a leak investigation has the press corp in an uproar. the administration says american lives were at risk. but is that reason enough? >> inexcusable and americans have a right to be angry about it and i am angry about it. i will not tolerate this kind of behavior in any agency, but especially in the irs, given the
11:01am
power that it has and the reach that it has in all of our lives. >> welcome to the journal editorial report. i'm paul gigot. that was president obama this week reacting to just one of the controversies swirling around his administration. news that the internal revenue service targeted conservative groups for special scrutiny in the 2012 election season. the latest scandal has revived partisan behavior and reinforced many people's fears about government who run amuck. joining the panel this week issues columnist and deputy editor, dan henninger, washington columnist, kim stossel, and senior editorial page writer, collin levy who has been following this story for us. what were these audits about? what were they looking for from these groups? >> well, they were looking for basically anything they could get from these groups. they wanted donor information. they wanted information about members. they wanted just about everything but the kitchen sink. and when you look at this, it really was expensive and
11:02am
sophisticated. of the 170 groups that were targeted, the treasury report found that about 58% of those had no -- i mean no reason for that to be happening. they were completely unnecessary. and about a third of them had no political activity whatsoever that should have been a red flag. >> the idea here was to challenge potentially their tax exempt status or to deny it all together. a lot of these groups had applied for tax exempt status and found their request delayed for many, many months. is that fair? >> right. right. that's very fair. that's a key point here because even under any benign understanding in which they were trying to look at these groups, nothing explains why these applications sat on the shelf sometimes for 13 months without any attention paid to them whatsoever. s there is no question there was a slow tracking specifically of these tea party applications. that was quite a different treatment than what was accorded to other nonprofit applications that were also being asked for other information. >> what about the point you hear from some of the defenders of
11:03am
the irs, that well, this was just a backwater in cincinnati, a few rogue employees. we heard that from the acting commissioner before he was fired this week, steven miller. that's not true. >> right. by the way, the people of ohio must be delighted to know that cincinnati is now some sort of political backwater all of a sudden. by the way, this is a situation where they had specifically centralized all of the looking at this, these tax exempt organizations in cincinnati. then they turn around and say, oh, whoops. actually guess what? we weren't paying any attention over there. so that whole line is really sort of absurd. quite a side, by the way, from whatever coordination there was as this information was run up to the chain to washington, which we now know it was as early as 2011. >> we also know there was some letters that had been sent from democrats on capitol hill, including max baucus, the head of the senate finance committee, chuck schumer, very powerful
11:04am
democrat on the finance committee, essentially challenging the irs to go after these tax exempt groups. so there is a sense -- while we don't know to what extent the irs at least we don't know now to what extent they were responding to those questions, we do know they were made and could have been a motive here for the irs. >> for sure. no question about it. guess what? they have newspapers and tv's in cincinnati too. and the requests coming from congress, from democrats, the whole suggestion that these 501 c groups were these new nefarious groups that really need additional oversight because they were overturning the entire system of electoral politics, that message, no question got through to the irs employees. whether or not they were acting of their own creative impulses or not. >> what about the argument, collin, that these -- you hear this from some of the liberals and defenders of the irs, that these groups deserve this kind of scrutiny because some of them were claiming to be social welfare groups and they were really engaging in partisan
11:05am
activity. so they needed this kind of scrutiny. >> oh, guess what? this was all part of the attack that came in the aftermath of citizens united, the supreme court came out and said, hey, you know what? people have more free speech than they thought they did. democrats were upset about this. nancy pelosi was very clear over the past week saying hey, citizens united was the reason these groups exploded and they deserve more scrutiny -- >> did some groups skirt close to the edge and deserve this scrutiny? that seems to be essence of the argument, that they deserved it. >> there is no indication that conservative groups were doing this more as a general matter than other groups were. there is no justification for the targeting of conservative groups. >> dan, put this it in broader context. how serious do you think, and you go back like i do, to a lot of scandals. how serious is this in the scandal scheme of things in. >> well, i think it's going to get very serious. i mean, one of the defenses of this, or one of the arguments that's been made by the other side is this is always happened
11:06am
going back in presidencies, using the irs, fdr did it, jfk, lbj, nixon most famously. but wait a minute, they're not saying in all of these presidencies lower level, rogue irs employees were doing it. they're saying the presidency did it. and i think in this case, what we're going to see here is the question is to what extent was the white house or the presidency involved one way or another? there is one more point to make about this, paul. this could get to the point where it will involve legal issues. in other words, people will have legal exposure to what they did. when the f.b.i. investigates, government employees or even these irs officials, cannot lie to the f.b.i that is a crime. so i think the truth is going to finally begin to leak out. >> kim, you wrote this week that, in fact, this scandal started at the top when you meant president obama. what do you mean by that, 'cause right now he is claiming to be
11:07am
as outraged as anybody else. >> well, it's what dan was alluding to and what collin was alluding to. yes, we know democrats were writing letters to the irs. but this entire environment of casting aspersions on these groups began and was, in fact, fomented by the president. he was out there giving dozens of speeches, naming some of these groups by name, criticizing citizens united, suggesting some of these groups might be operating illegally. saying, we don't know where they're getting their money. maybe they're being controlled by a foreign corporation. if you work for the irs, you work for any federal agency and you hear the president of the united states making allegations like that, there is certainly a reason you might sit up and pay attention, or do something about it. so he helped create this environment not only by doing that, but during the election, for instance, by going out and targeting the romney donors by name, putting out the fact that calling some of them less than reputable. one of them ended up actually in after being named by an obama web site in this manner and
11:08am
ended up getting hit by three federal audits in four months. >> this is going to be moving ahead, we'll be covering this every week. still the scandal engulfing the agency, the irs is undergoing a big expansion thanks to its new role as chief obamacare enforcer. what you need to know about the taxman and your health insurance next to prove it, we set up our call center right here... [ chirp ] all good? [ chirp ] getty up. seriously, this is really happening! [ cellphone rings ] hello? it's a giant helicopter ma'am. [ male announcer ] get it done [ chirp ] with the ultraugged ocera torque, only from sprint direct conct. buy one get four free for your business.
11:09am
accomplishing even little things can become major victories. i'm phil mickelson, pro golfer. when i was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, my rheumatologist prescribed enbrel for my pain and stiffness, and to help stop joint damage. [ male announcer ] enbrel may lower your ability to fight infections. serious, sometimes fatal events including infections, tuberculosis, lymphoma, other cancers, nervous system and blood disorders, and allergic reactions have occurred. before starting enbrel, your doctor should test you for tuberculosis and discuss whether you've been to a region where certain fungal infections are common. you should not start enbrel if you have an infection like the flu. tell your doct if you're prone to infections,
11:10am
have cuts or sores, have had hepatitis b, have been treated for heart failure, or if you have symptoms such as persistent fever, bruising, bleeding, or palens. nce enbrel helped relieve my joint pain, it's the little things that mean the most. ask your rheumatologist if enbrel is right for you. [ doctor ] enbrel, the number one biologic medicine prescribed by rheumatologists. available out there. i knew devry university would give me the skills that i needed to make one of those tech jobs mine. we teach cutting-edge engineering technology, computer information systems, networking and communications management -- the things that our students need to know in the world today. our country needs more college grads to help fill all the open technology jobs. to help meet that need, here at devry university, we're offering $4 million dollars in tech scholarships for qualified new students. learn more at devry.edu. since i've been using crest pro-health, i've noticed a huge improvement. [ male announcer ] go pro for a clean that's up to four times better,
11:11am
try these crest pro-health products together. the toothpaste is really awesome. it cleans a lot. [ male announcer ] crest pro-health protects not just some, but all these areas dentists check most. this is gonna be a very good checkup. i feel it. [ male announcer ] go pro with crest pro-health. my dentist was so proud of my teeth today. after using crest pro-health for a few weeks, i just feel brighter, fresher, cleaner. >> paul: even as the irs scandal continues to unfold, that very same agency is undergoing a huge expansion. it's all thanks to the rollout of the affordable care act and the tax man's vast new role in your health insurance choices. "wall street journal" editorial board member joe joins us with more. so joe, what new powers is the irs getting under the health care law? >> whole bunch. this is the largest social program the irs has ever been asked to implement and it goes all across the economy. they enforce the individual
11:12am
mandate to buy health insurance or else pay a tax penalty. a mandate on businesses to provide the right kind of health insurance. there is 47 major changes to tax law that the irs will collect. and then they also have a much larger policy making rule in terms of regulations, you know, what counts as a workweek, who counts as a full time worker, seasonal worker, all kinds of things. >> paul: how many new workers have they asked for? >> well, they've asked for 1900 full time equivalents for 2014. the affordable care act office is a big part of the irs. that's about 700 people directly working on the law. and then a whole bunch of people brought in for this. >> paul: they're going to collect a lot of data from different parts of the government, aren't they? a big new database? >> right. with the health and human services department, they're building something called the federal data hub, which is when they audit your health care to find out -- >> paul: just what we need, another federal data house.
11:13am
>> if you have the right kind of health care, they'll cross check that with social security, department of justice, homeland security, and so forth. it's really a huge information technology thing. >> paul: just so i understand, right now if i underpay my tax, the irs will say, you owe us x amount of dollars. if, for some reason i now apply for federal health insurance and i make a little bit more than what i'm supposed to, the irs will come in and be able to say, sorry, you don't qualify or sorry, you pay a fine, or sorry, you have to pay x dollars? that it? >> right. what they'll look at is do you have the right kind of health care. if you don't, you'll pay a penalty. they'll be calculating your subsidy if you qualify for one and the insurers, government health care programs and so forth are going to be reporting information into the data hub, which the irs will then cross check against your return to figure out if you're complying with the mandate. >> paul: kim what, are the implications of this politically for the affordable care act as it begins to roll out? is this going to complicate its
11:14am
rollout? >> oh, it's already implicating the rollout. you see republicans making the case, which i think definitely has to be asked about whether or not you can trust the irs to be doing such an enormous part of this. you have them -- some of them saying this is another and additional reason for why the health care law should be repealed, because when you stop and think about giving the irs those immense powers, you simply -- it's somewhat inconceivable. we also have the news now, too, that the woman who backed the tax exempt organizations during the time the irs was targeting conservative groups, she's been moved on to a new job. guess what division she's running? she's running the obamacare office with the irs. >> paul: that's a real confidence booster. >> one of the questions you have to ask is why the irs is so deeply involved. >> paul: somebody has to enforce it. if you're going to force people to buy health insurance or pay a fine, somebody has to enforce
11:15am
it. >> the thing about the irs and tax system is there are a lot of criminals who exploit it. there is tax credit fraud, there is medicare fraud. and they know, it has been talked about, the systems will be set up to exploit obamacare criminally. so they're going to set up this dragnet basically that joe was describing to try to catch those people. which they're not very good at. in the meantime, innocent people, employers who are trying to juggle all of these new rules are going to get caught in that dragnet. >> paul: is there anything here, and we don't have a lot of time, that congress can do about this? could it really x out the irs and give it to somebody else? >> we've seen a lot of funding battles in congress over how much money are they going to get those 1900 employees and so forth. but i mean, this is headed straight for october in the meantime. i don't think there is very much they can do to block this. >> paul: the rollout being in october. so the ultimate cure here is you got to repeal it. >> that's right. it's a political question. >> paul: all right. when we come back, the american press corp goes attack,
11:16am
demanding answers about the justice department seizure of reporter's phone records, all part of an investigation into a national security leak that the administration says put american lives at risk. so is that justification enough for the subpoenas? our own dorothy weighs in next [ male announcer ] from red lobster's chefs to your table our seafood dinner for two for just 25 dollars! first get salad and cheddar bay biscuits. then choose from a variety of seafood entrées. plus choose either an appezer or a dessert to share. offer ends soon at red lobster! where we sea food differently. constipated? yeah. mm. some laxatives like dulcolax can cause cramps. but phillips' caplets don't. they have magnesium. for effective relief of occasional constipation. thanks. [ phillips' lady ] live the regular life. phillips'.
11:17am
11:18am
[ phillips' lady ] live the regular life. so you can make easy, no-fee reloads with cash and checks... ♪ ♪ and know you're not on your own. so you can get the reloadable card that keeps up with you. chase liquid. so you can.
11:19am
>> paul: the white house dealing with another controversy this week. revelations that the justice department secretly obtained two months worth of phone records for 20 associated press journalists, all part of an investigation into the 2012 leak of classified information into the ap about a covert c.i.a. operation in yemen that disrupted an airline bomb plot. attorney general eric holder recused himself from the probe last year, defended his department tuesday, calling the
11:20am
leak very, very serious. >> i've been a prosecutor since 1976 and i have to say that this is among if not the most serious, it is in the top two or three and most serious leaks that i've ever seen. put the american people at risk. that is not hyperbole. it put the american people at risk. >> paul: wall street editorial board member joins with us more. dorothy, is the media outrage over the subpoenas justified? >> well, justified, i think you could look at it as posturing. there is a lot of posturing about this, but it's not nothing either. that's because we use the word overbroad as the only excuse for this. that's a very clinical term for what really happened. you know, there was built into the justice department guidelines ways of getting this by alerting them. they could go to court. >> paul: they didn't alert the ap. >> exactly right.
11:21am
>> paul: it took weeks to alert them. typically in media cases like this, they negotiate with the media. they didn't in this case. >> no. not only that, but they did not allow for the company involved with the ap to go to court to narrow, to negotiate and narrow the scope of this investigation. so when you say overbroad, what really happened? what really happened is that they went in there and cast a wide net so that the result is that reporters talking to anybody about anything, this is -- >> paul: not just stories related to this, but on any stories or any other situation. >> that's right. this is a chilling effect. we don't want to use it, but in effect, this was a serious matter and it could impinge on hinges. however, we all know nobody wants to endanger national security. i myself would like the death penalty for julian assange. all that is the case.
11:22am
>> paul: he's the wikileaks gentleman. >> but the fact is that this was not -- >> paul: if you're theious department or his deputies and you're saying, we're tasked by the president in this case and by the law with investigating leaks, that damage national security, what do you do? don't you have an obligation to enforce the law? >> of course you do. but you do it in the way that they have the safeguards to do. >> paul: why did you think they did what they did? >> that is the answer. >> paul: was it to intimidate the press? >> one is that possibility. but there is another possibility. shear aggressive imcompetence. do not underestimate what's going on here. we have eric holder who is a perfect reflection of the president who appointed him. that is underprepared, untrained, and trained only in ideological imperatives. >> paul: so blunder bust government here? >> absolute israeli. >> paul: ineptitude? this went up to -- holder
11:23am
recused himself, but this went up to the deputy attorney general. so they must have understood this was serious business that could have had media blow back. >> sure, and i mean, what is at the heart of it is what eric holder was trying to describe, one of the worst leaks, which means something that put american lives at risk. if you're going to put that in front of the american people and ask them to weigh the first amendment right of the press against the government's right to try to protect the american people, i think the press is going to lose. >> paul: this was the story, led to the fact that there was -- we had an undercover agent inside al-qaeda and by blowing that cover ultimately or showing people we had that, that's going to make it harder in the future, arguably, to be able to recruit people inside al-qaeda because the people who are risking their lives with being an agent say they can't keep their mouths shut in the united states and i'll be at risk. >> the government was asking the associated press to make a judgment about whether it should publish this story or not. it decided to go ahead with
11:24am
publishing it. that is its first amendment right. what is not covered by the first amendment, is news gathering techniques. those aren't protected. that has been litigated by the supreme court. so the press has to be careful, i think, about getting itself into a gray area where its ability to do its job gets peeled back because court decisions run against it or public opinion runs against it. >> paul: how damaging do you think this story is to the administration going forward, both in a legal sense and political? >> that is the question because it is part of the great picture we have imcompetence and aggression with the irs and everything else and it's very hard to separate the ap story from the rest of it in the aggregate, all of it is this possible blunder bust by accident, but also possible blunder bust by intention. i mean, hot house effect in which this white house has operated, always ends up with we are the virtue with us no matter what happens.
11:25am
you are causing trouble. and it is the arrogance of power. >> paul: okay, dorothy. we've got to stop here. we have to take one more break. when we come back, it's miss of the -- hits and misses of the week why are twice as many people choosing verizon over any other carrier? many choose us because we have the largest 4glte network. others, because of our reputation for reliability. or maybe it's because we've received jd power and associates' customer service award 4x in a row. in the end, there are countless reasons. but one choi.
11:26am
11:27am
11:28am
>> paul: time for our hits and misses of the week. collin, first to you. >> well, this is a hit to the third circuit court of appeals which became the second federal court this week to say that obama's recess appointments, nonrecess, recess appointment to the national labor relations board were unconstitutional. the court said that his appointment of craig becker also was invalid, which means now some 1200 decisions by the board are potentially up for grabs and could be overturned. so the board has been carrying on as though nothing is the matter. but it might be time to rethink that strategy. >> paul: all right. dorothy? >> well, the free speech took a step forward because the university of montana received from the u.s. justice department
11:29am
a new directive expanding the meaning of harassment. first and foremost, if you ask a woman out for a date and she rejects it and you flirt, this constitutes harassment. >> paul: she doesn't like you. >> she doesn't like it. okay. secondly, it doesn't have to be objective harassment that is factual harassment, but if you feel harassed, that is harassment. this directive goes to all universities taking money. >> paul: i take that as a hit. joe? >> a miss this week for proof that nothing can escape politics. there is a new app for your smart phone called by cut that let's you scan items at the supermarket and see if they were made by koch industries so liberals can buy the right kind of paper towels and avoid sending money to the koch brothers. they might spend on politics or might donate to cancer research. >> paul: koch being the oil executives who are much loathed by the left because they support libertarian politics. >> exactly. >> rick: all right. thanks. that's it for this week's show. thanks to my panel and especially to all of you for
11:30am
watching. i'm paul gigot. we hope to see you right here next week. it's been a week of nonstop news. the department of justice grabs phone records from the associated press, claiming it needs information as to who leaked secrets. the irs admits to targeting conservative groups, delaying or denying their request to be recognized as tax exempt, while greasing the skids for liberal groups to do the same thing. more details revealed about the attacks in benghazi. talking point e-mails give clarity to the administration's spin on the tragedy. a trifecta of problems for the obama white house gets full media attention. plus, an abortion doctor gets convicted of murder. the media finally show up. o.j. is back in the news. and the press is none too kind. and what is scot